Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banning Spammers
Dreamsinger

Threads: 16
Banning Spammers
I've been banning spammers as I find them. If you get a PM from one, send me the name and the msg they sent you, and I'll toast 'em.

Dreamsinger
2016.08.12, 09.30
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stephanie
App Author

Threads: 38
RE: Banning Spammers
Thanks Dreamsinger. I've been doing the same. Sadly it seems the forum update wasn't effective at all in blocking them.
2016.08.16, 06.12
Atashi
Administrator

Threads: 0
I have implemented a couple plugins that will hopefully help.

Some testing is required but one plugin to maybe catch potential spam/bots at registration, and a second plugin that limits new members' posting so their first 3 posts have to be moderated and they can only post 1 at a time.

If it works as intended then instead of a spammer signing up and flooding the board with spam, there'd be a maximum of one spam post which wouldn't be live until a moderator approves it.
2016.08.18, 07.09
Stephanie
App Author

Threads: 38
(2016.08.18, 07.09)Atashi Wrote: I have implemented a couple plugins that will hopefully help.

Some testing is required but one plugin to maybe catch potential spam/bots at registration, and a second plugin that limits new members' posting so their first 3 posts have to be moderated and they can only post 1 at a time.

If it works as intended then instead of a spammer signing up and flooding the board with spam, there'd be a maximum of one spam post which wouldn't be live until a moderator approves it.

This appears to be working. New members' posts go into the moderation queue awaiting approval, rather than posting directly to the board.

I've deleted a handful of spam posts from the queue and banished the accounts responsible.

The downside is as far as I can see, there's no automated alert to notify mods that there are posts in the queue, so it requires regularily checking the Mod CP for posts awaiting moderation.
2016.08.31, 07.03