Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What age should I start witchcraft,magic, etc.
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Threads: 1
What age should I start witchcraft,magic, etc.
I am 14 years old as of now and I wanted to know what age would be best for me to start magic, spells, etc. ?
2015.10.12, 17.41
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dreamsinger

Threads: 18
RE: What age should I start witchcraft,magic, etc.
Matthew,

It is never too early to start learning. There is *so* much out there to learn. So many branches of the Olde Ways. I suggest you start now, but with an open mind. There is no one "right" way, although you will hear otherwise. My personal beliefs combine the Shamanic knowledge of the Native Americans, Druids, Nordic peoples, and the Ancient Ones in England. I also work extensively with Crystals.

While this group has been quiet lately, it's good people who can answer your questions as you go. Someone here was once concerned that there were a "beginner" and that we all knew so much. I responded "We are all beginners. Some of us have just been beginning longer than others."

Welcome to the group, and may your path be smooth and bright.

Dreamsinger
2015.10.13, 13.36
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Another question has come to mind now. What will happen if my parents should find out? Will they abandon me? What will come of my religion, my parents baptized me at birth to be a Christian, but will I have to leave all that behind to learn in the art of witchcraft? How will witchcraft change my way of going to school. (Iam in freshman year)
Pls help me in finding answers to these questions. Gooday kind Sorcerers and Sorceress'.

Forgot to mention, How will I do the self-initiation ritual without my parents walking in on me?
(This post was last modified: 2015.10.13, 21.26 by Matthewblahblah.)
2015.10.13, 21.25
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

I did not choose Christanity myself my parents chose it for me as a child so I myself have not chosen yet if that is to stop me from entering and learning in the art of witchcraft.
2015.10.14, 20.55
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Is anyone there?
2015.10.16, 18.07
Dreamsinger

(2015.10.16, 18.07)Matthewblahblah Wrote: Is anyone there?

We're here, just not always visiting this place.

What if your parents find out?: Tell them you have an interest in alternate spiritualities. Just because you are Christian does not mean you cannot be Wiccan, or Traditional or anything else. This enhances and supplements your faith, not replaces it.

Self-initiation ritual: In a way, by deciding to take up the Craft, you have already done that. My belief is a formal ritual is necessary if you think it is. I have never undergone such a thing, yet I am a successful healer, can communicate (somewhat) with the animals, and understand and receive messages from Crystals. If you remember, I said there were many paths you could walk. If you feel you need self-initiation, then set aside a time when they go out and do it then.

The most important thing to remember is to keep your intentions pure. Once they are set, the energies you summon will amplify them until they manifest themselves. If you can do that without initiation, fine. If you feel you need one, also fine.

How will witchcraft change my way of going to school?: Unless you can actually ride a broom, keep taking the bus or whatever. However, given that Witchcraft is not universally accepted, I would not flaunt this at school. If you have Wicca Plus on your iThing, don't leave it open or on the first page of your home screen. Again, it is something you are interested in to compare to your faith.

Choice of religion: I was baptized Catholic before I could speak or move on my own. That's not choice. That's family. You have choice. Choice to do good or bad. Choice to not like broccoli. Choice to be whatever you wish. That includes your religion. This is not "all or nothing." I may have mentioned my personal beliefs are centered around Native American and Northern Europe Shamanism. For strict interpretations, they do not mix, yet I have a Blackfoot/Cherokee friend who tells me they do, since the Vikings landed in America before Columbus and traded with both tribes. Who is to say their faiths did not intertwine?

My recommendation: Keep and open mind. Find what resonates with you and follow that path. Of course, to do that you need to learn about it. Just don't grab on to the first thing as the ONLY thing. There is infinite diversity in infinite combinations out there. You path is waiting and will call you when you are ready.

That's more than I've said before my first cup of coffee in a long time.

Be well, Matthew!

Dreamsinger
2015.10.17, 05.53
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

In that case I will need candles a broom and a pointy hat.
Yea I might skip the pointy hat. To make the circle do I actually have to draw something connecting the 4 candles and what's a pentacle and if I draw one do I just have to draw the 5-line star on piece of printer paper? Better yet ho do I make a Circle? The first thing I want to work on in witchcraft is the guide your dreams spell. Do I have to write out what I want to dream about in that certain language or can I write it in English, Must I use virgin parchment or can I use printer paper? May I take my phone and look at what I am supposed to do while perforimg it or must I memorize it?

I have so many questions about what to do and what to add to my "bible"/book/storage device. What are runes? How do I know what rune means what? Can I write in English or not for rituals/spells etc. Is there really such thing as a flying broom? and if so pls guide me on how to make it? good day kind peoples and good luck in your practices!
(This post was last modified: 2015.10.17, 21.19 by Matthewblahblah.)
2015.10.17, 21.15
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Okeeee I just found out how to use runes and such. Can I use just a regular red ink pen from Staples or Walmart or...? How do I read the time on this website cause I have no idea what 22.49 means? If I am to consecrate water salt etc. can I do it by my-self or must I have someone else there with me? How do I find other witches through the internet and what would I type in or what website do I go to find and meet other witches in person? Because I can't just get on a plane and go to some random place where I can find a Warlock who the answer that I seek.

How may I come across an Athame that has already been consecrated or can I just take a regular old knife from an antique store and consecrate that by itself on the pentacle. Could I use a knife from my kitchen that I took with me and no one knows that I have it in my drawer and consecrate that. Will my love of video games and such interfere with my witchcraft practices. Btw I have been watching a series on Netflix that is called "the adventures of Merlin" and I have been wondering if that kind of stuff is real, special effects, or if there used to be such a person in history that merlin was based off of?

If I am bothering you peoples pls let me know because I am always conscious of the fact that I may start to lose the people that I talk to because I talk to mush and I worry that I am starting to become a nusience to them.
(This post was last modified: 2015.10.17, 22.11 by Matthewblahblah.)
2015.10.17, 22.04
Yore Naime
Witch

Threads: 2
(2015.10.17, 22.04)Matthewblahblah Wrote: Okeeee I just found out how to use runes and such. Can I use just a regular red ink pen from Staples or Walmart or...? How do I read the time on this website cause I have no idea what 22.49 means? If I am to consecrate water salt etc. can I do it by my-self or must I have someone else there with me? How do I find other witches through the internet and what would I type in or what website do I go to find and meet other witches in person? Because I can't just get on a plane and go to some random place where I can find a Warlock who the answer that I seek.

How may I come across an Athame that has already been consecrated or can I just take a regular old knife from an antique store and consecrate that by itself on the pentacle. Could I use a knife from my kitchen that I took with me and no one knows that I have it in my drawer and consecrate that. Will my love of video games and such interfere with my witchcraft practices. Btw I have been watching a series on Netflix that is called "the adventures of Merlin" and I have been wondering if that kind of stuff is real, special effects, or if there used to be such a person in history that merlin was based off of?

If I am bothering you peoples pls let me know because I am always conscious of the fact that I may start to lose the people that I talk to because I talk to mush and I worry that I am starting to become a nusience to them.

There is an old tradition called Kitchen Witchery, that made all their ritual tools look like innocuous objects. A pocket knife can be your boline, an ordinary kitchen knife can be your athame. (or better yet, your 1st two fingers) And ordinary cup can be your chalice. A stick can be your wand. (especially if it draws you to it) A plate can be your pentacle. Or you can draw one on paper each time you use it, and destroy it after you are finished with it.

Movies, games and books can be a great source of inspiration. But be aware that the entertainment industry makes everything bigger, flashier and more exciting than real life. Watch a movie about something you know from real life and you will see what I mean. (this is partly why I like movies about baseball games, but not actual real life baseball games)

I can recommend some books to get you started:

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler tells about the history of Paganism in America and about some of the leading groups from the 1970's, many of which are still around.

8 sabbats for Witches by Steward and Janet Farrar has much of the Traditional Gardnerian/Alexandria rituals, some of which appear in this app. It is often published, combined with another good book of theirs, "The Witches' Way" and the combined books have the title: "A Witches' Bible Complete".

Grimoure for the Apprentice Wizard by Oberon Zell is a step by step "how to" book written for young people like you. It is filled with interesting information. (he also runs an online school)

Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Husan has lots of interesting information, much of it on things not addressed by other books. I was very influential to me, but has recently become more popular.

The Spiral Dance by Starhawk is the best selling beginner Wiccan book ever. She changed a lot about the Craft and even changed the book with time. I like the 1st edition a lot. Be we have grown in different directions. So I ignore her new footnotes and her new chapter in later editions.
(This post was last modified: 2015.10.20, 22.35 by Yore Naime.)
2015.10.20, 22.33
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Thank you, So I can just use my kitchen knife for Athame and other things for stuff etc. Is a pentacle just a five line star with a circle around it or...? I told my sister about me studying witchcraft she had me promise to use it for good things or she would tell my parents. Now she is interested in making candles and I help her with that I am actually writing this in candlelight atm.

Btw if I make candles can I use the candles for the circle thing and btw do I have to have something connecting the 4 watchtowers and are the watchtowers just candles in the western eastern and southern points and do I have 2 candles on the altar and 1 candle as the northern watchtower or can I just use the 2 candles for the altar for the northern watchtower?
(This post was last modified: 2015.10.21, 21.27 by Matthewblahblah.)
2015.10.21, 21.25
Yore Naime
Witch

Yes you can use your Kitchen knife for an Athame.

A Pentacle is a disc with a symbol representing the whole universe on it. Most Witches use a pentacle with a five pointed star on it. But other symbols, or even a lack of symbol will work just as good. John Dee famously made a very elaborate one. I have also seen people use hexacles (six pointed star in a circle), heptacles (7 pointed star in a circle) or even an equal armed cross in a circle. In the current run-up to Samhain, I am using a 360° metal protractor, with a skull on it that I got at the Krapina Neanderthal Museum.

I have done rituals with only one candle and I have done them with more than seven candles. It depends on how special the occasion is and how much work I am putting into the ritual and why.

The Watchtowers are an astral construct that you build as a representative of 1/4 of reality. You only need your imagination to make one. You imagine the power of that element coming into the Circle from that direction. Placing a candle in that direction, and lighting it after you Call that Quarter, can help you keep in mind that you have called the Watchtower in that direction and you are now in sacred space. Having lit candles in all four directions can also light the Circle enough that you can see what you are doing. But candles in the directions can also present a fire hazard, and may not be practical if you are trying to do ritual in a small space like your bedroom. For my daily work, I only light one candle on the altar. For esbats and sabbats I use more. Sometimes, one in each direction and on the altar, one each for the Lord and Lady and a power candle that I have charged specifically for that ritual.

But when I have no tools, I can fully Cast a Circle using the power of my imagination to visualise the tools that I would have had if I had planned it in advance.

Also, I recommend using the app to help you memorise all of the invocations you use to Call the directions, the deities, draw the circle, . . . etc. Ritual works better when you don't hesitate or take time to read. But don't be afraid to deviate from the script if you feel inspired to. Spontaneous moments in Circle can be very powerful. But you need a back-up invocation that you can easily roll off the tongue for the majority of the time when you are not inspired with a creative substitute.
(This post was last modified: 2015.10.22, 00.21 by Yore Naime.)
2015.10.22, 00.18
Dreamsinger

Intention is the most important thing.

When I travel, I rarely carry my Athame with me. TSA frowns on knives in your carry on, and I'm reluctant to pack it in my checked baggage, which only happens on international flights. So my Athame is a bamboo stick with a single-terminated quartz point in it. Use what works for you. I also use my right hand to create a circle on the *rare* times I actually use one.

I like fountain pens. I have two with green ink for my Craft work. I also have a roller ball that uses fountain pen cartridges, also dedicated to Craft. Use what you like. I have all sorts of paper I use for everything. Ledger pads for crystal grids, journals I've been given or bought at one time or another. A simple invocation dedicating them to service and they are my BoS and/or Grimoire.

My first Athame was my Father's hunting knife. My current one is made from ox bone and was given to me by a very close friend. I've reached the point where there is little iron or steel on my altar or on me when I work.

English is my native tongue. I do most of my work there, except for certain bindrunes and other things I write using the Elder FUTHARK. Again, this is what works for me. Find what gives you a buzz and use that.

Keep in mind the Latin phrase, "Prima non nocere" - "First, do no harm". That should be your guiding light. However, you may come to a time when you need to erect a protection spell (I have one I reinforce every day), and if that bounces back some negative energy to the source, it contradicts that philosophy. Still, it has to go somewhere, and I prefer to keep the threefold law in mind. Tends to shut that kind of thing down in a hurry, but again, ONLY in defense.

Leave the Harry Potter behind. Entertaining books and movies, but I have yet to have a bolt of lightning burst out of my wand. I'd probably faint if it did. Patience is important. Record everything you do, either on paper or electronically. Keep a journal, but keep that private. Sometimes your inner feelings will burst out and onto the paper. Not always a good thing if they are read.

Great that your sister is helping you. Candles can be important, and I anoint mine with appropriate oils when necessary.

There is no one "right" way. There is only the way that works for you. I learn something new every day, and seriously consider the day a loss when I don't. Keep and open mind and try to take a step back when you work your Craft to answer this: "Did what I just do feel right?" if the answer is "Yes", then you have something to hold on to. But also realize as you grow in the Craft, you may leave behind certain spells and rituals and adopt new ones. This is good. This is growing. And I grow every day.

Dang.... that's a lot of words.

Find your path, Matthew, and walk it in peace.

Dreamsinger
2015.10.22, 15.41
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Ok then I may try the candle spell today if I can get a candle that isn't made with a holder made of flour salt and water and I may attempt to consecrate some water and salt then hide those in a jar or something in my hiding spot
2015.10.22, 18.26
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Time to add things to Journal
2015.10.22, 19.20
Yore Naime
Witch

(2015.10.22, 18.26)Matthewblahblah Wrote: Ok then I may try the candle spell today if I can get a candle that isn't made with a holder made of flour salt and water and I may attempt to consecrate some water and salt then hide those in a jar or something in my hiding spot

No need the keep consecrated water and salt. The "Opening Ritual" in the app tells you how to Consecrate them. You can do that as the first part of any ritual you do, and you have all the freshly consecrated water and salt you need. (though I have, at times held on to special water in a jar that was made from melted snow, or was collected rainwater, or had been used in one of my initiations or salt that I dug out of the ground myself)

Personal preference: I like to use my athame for consecrating water and my wand for consecrating salt.

For spell-work, taper candles work best for me. But pillar candles or tea lights in holders can be convenient for reuse for direction candles.
(This post was last modified: 2015.10.22, 22.52 by Yore Naime.)
2015.10.22, 22.08
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Ok then I was wondering how to make a wand or do I just grab a stick from my backyard and use that? Do I have to still consecrate my kitchen knife athame or do I just sue it as it is? I haven't found many questions yet that I need answering but I do have one though... How do I make candles out of melted wax like do they sell candle holders on the internet or...? Also where do I find a wick that will last long because I plan to do my first witchcraft spell this weekend or maybe just wait until I feel the time is right. Btw do any fellow witches live where I am at because I live in southern CA and I was wondering if I could call them or...?

Is the best time for me to do witchcraft at night or at any time of the day because my room is on the eastern side of the house so it is always really hot and sunny in my room.
(This post was last modified: 2015.10.23, 17.07 by Matthewblahblah.)
2015.10.23, 17.04
Yore Naime
Witch

Just grab a stick from the yard and use that for now. Later, when you are walking somewhere special in nature, you may feel drawn to a particular stick. That one, you can take home to carve and decorate, consecrate it as your wand. (but don't be afraid to do practice consecrations on your stick)

Just use the kitchen knife as is for now. (or better yet, just use your first 2 fingers. They are the athame you always have with you.) Later, when you are older, you can buy a special dagger that you can consecrate as your athame.

Candle making is harder than it looks. It is easier to just buy remade ones. Solid colour unscented ones are better than white ones with a colour on the outside. Easier still, you can buy white unscented ones in packs of several. White is a good colour if you can't get the right colour for your spell.
Making candles requires a lot of stuff, including a pot to meld wax in that will never again be used for any other purpose, holds, and wicks. I've tried using ordinary stick for wicks, It doesn't work well. In you area, there make be a specialty candle shop that sells candle making supplies and already made candles.

There are lots of Witches in South CA! You can find them on witchvox.com. They have a section of teen witches. You should probably avoid face to face meeting with adult witches until you are 18. (Your parents could get any adult Witches you associate with in big trouble if they objected to your witchiness)
2015.10.24, 07.45
Matthewblahblah
Initiate

Ok I just tried to memorize a part of the opening ritual, do I really have to memorize all that or can I have a paper taped or nailed to a wall that I can look at while doing the ritual? Also are there any teen witches that I could maybe skype call or even just text because I can't really meet with any of the teen witches on witchvox. have a good day kind peoples!
2015.10.26, 21.26
Yore Naime
Witch

(2015.10.26, 21.26)Matthewblahblah Wrote: Ok I just tried to memorize a part of the opening ritual, do I really have to memorize all that or can I have a paper taped or nailed to a wall that I can look at while doing the ritual? Also are there any teen witches that I could maybe skype call or even just text because I can't really meet with any of the teen witches on witchvox. have a good day kind peoples!

Don't let the difficulty of memorization stop you from doing ritual. It's okay to have the app in hand or a printout of the words for your early rituals. If you want to memorise the words, make that a goal for the next month. Memorisation of the ritual will help with your understanding of it and why things are done and when, which will make it easier for you to improvise your own invocations later.
But for now, if you feel having a script in hand makes it easier to be more confident, go ahead. When you do first start working without a script, don't worry if you didn't remember or say it exactly right. Relax, and have fun. Your inspired improvisation may turn out to be more powerful for you than the traditional words. Just keep going and do ritual that is meaningful for you.

I think in order to contact teens on witchvox, you have to have an account, yourself, with a Date of Birth that proves your are an actual teen.
2015.10.27, 08.13