Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me get started:)
nwarwick
Initiate

Threads: 1
Please help me get started:)
Hi all!
My name is Nicole, I am from Idaho. (would love to know if there is anyone around here) My brother and I are both very interested in wicca studies and we would love for some help on getting started. Basic things, that will hopefully lead to a better understanding. Any tips, advice, or need to knows would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time, (reading this post, as well as any replies!)
Salut, Nicole
2015.02.25, 04.00
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dreamsinger

Threads: 18
RE: Please help me get started:)
Nicole,

Blessings to you and your brother and welcome to the forums. I recently found Traditional witchcraft and have begun practicing my Craft that way. The most important thing is to find what resonates with you and stick with it. I am also interested in the Runes and Tarot, although Tarot is something I am just learning.

I have done a lot of work adding to Wicca Plus. The app is great and makes a wonderful reference I can carry on my phone or iPad.

If you would like, I can share my current reading list with you.

Regards,

Dreamsinger
2015.02.26, 21.11
nwarwick
Initiate

Threads: 1
(2015.02.26, 21.11)Dreamsinger Wrote: Nicole,

Blessings to you and your brother and welcome to the forums. I recently found Traditional witchcraft and have begun practicing my Craft that way. The most important thing is to find what resonates with you and stick with it. I am also interested in the Runes and Tarot, although Tarot is something I am just learning.

I have done a lot of work adding to Wicca Plus. The app is great and makes a wonderful reference I can carry on my phone or iPad.

If you would like, I can share my current reading list with you.

Regards,

Dreamsinger

DreamSinger,

I would absolutely love if you would share your current reading list. Smile I was actually looking at the Runes that are on the app! they are very intriguing, I would love to pick your brain about that. And if there is anything else you want to tell me, I'll take it. We are blind as bats here. Thanks!Smile

Cheers,

Nicole
2015.02.27, 12.55
WiccaTodd
Witch

Threads: 21
Greetings and welcome!
As Dreamsinger said, the important thing is to find something that resonates with you. I have only been studying Wicca for a little over a year now. It looks like I too, am following the Traditional path. And there is always something to learn.
Firstly, congratulations, the Wicca Plus App is great to have!
Now I recommend finding some books. I have read five "Introduction to Wicca" books. All of which have taught me something. But we always need to read more.
I highly recommend the book Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin. It is an outstanding guide. Very practical and matter-of-fact.
You can download a digital version of the book from iTunes or Amazon. A physical copy can be ordered from Ebay or a cool, real, bookstore like Isis Books. Any bookstore in your area can order you a copy. Also, try your library. Honest. Ask for books on Wicca. Explore the religion section. Ask a librarian.
Beware the Internet. A lot of web pages are too specific, or too far out of sympathy for new students. I can only recommend a site called WITCHVOX. It is an old fashion looking site where witches from all over post lectures and essays. They have a beginner section of essays. Check it out.
Thanks for joining us here at our tiny forum! I wish you and your brother the best!
WiccaTodd
2015.02.28, 09.01
Yore Naime
Witch

Threads: 2
(2015.02.25, 04.00)nwarwick Wrote: Hi all!
My name is Nicole, I am from Idaho. (would love to know if there is anyone around here) My brother and I are both very interested in wicca studies and we would love for some help on getting started. Basic things, that will hopefully lead to a better understanding. Any tips, advice, or need to knows would be greatly appreciated.
Salut, Nicole

There is an old tradition called Kitchen Witchery, that made all their ritual tools look like innocuous objects. A pocket knife can be your boline, an ordinary kitchen knife can be your athame. (or better yet, your 1st two fingers) And ordinary cup can be your chalice. A stick can be your wand. (especially if it draws you to it) A plate can be your pentacle. Or you can draw one on paper each time you use it, and destroy it after you are finished with it.

Movies, games and books can be a great source of inspiration. But be aware that the entertainment industry makes everything bigger, flashier and more exciting than real life. Watch a movie about something you know from real life and you will see what I mean. (this is partly why I like movies about baseball games, but not actual real life baseball games)

I can recommend some books to get you started:

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler tells about the history of Paganism in America and about some of the leading groups from the 1970's, many of which are still around.

8 sabbats for Witches by Steward and Janet Farrar has much of the Traditional Gardnerian/Alexandria rituals, some of which appear in this app. It is often published, combined with another good book of theirs, "The Witches' Way" and the combined books have the title: "A Witches' Bible Complete".

Grimoure for the Apprentice Wizard by Oberon Zell is a step by step "how to" book written for young people like you. It is filled with interesting information. (he also runs an online school)

Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Husan has lots of interesting information, much of it on things not addressed by other books. I was very influential to me, but has recently become more popular.

The Spiral Dance by Starhawk is the best selling beginner Wiccan book ever. She changed a lot about the Craft and even changed the book with time. I like the 1st edition a lot. Be we have grown in different directions. So I ignore her new footnotes and her new chapter in later editions.
2015.10.20, 22.52
Dreamsinger

Threads: 18
(2015.10.20, 22.52)Yore Naime Wrote:
(2015.02.25, 04.00)nwarwick Wrote: Hi all!
Salut, Nicole

There is an old tradition called Kitchen Witchery, that made all their ritual tools look like innocuous objects. A pocket knife can be your boline, an ordinary kitchen knife can be your athame. (or better yet, your 1st two fingers) And ordinary cup can be your chalice. A stick can be your wand. (especially if it draws you to it) A plate can be your pentacle. Or you can draw one on paper each time you use it, and destroy it after you are finished with it.

Movies, games and books can be a great source of inspiration. But be aware that the entertainment industry makes everything bigger, flashier and more exciting than real life. Watch a movie about something you know from real life and you will see what I mean. (this is partly why I like movies about baseball games, but not actual real life baseball games)

I can recommend some books to get you started:

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler tells about the history of Paganism in America and about some of the leading groups from the 1970's, many of which are still around.

8 sabbats for Witches by Steward and Janet Farrar has much of the Traditional Gardnerian/Alexandria rituals, some of which appear in this app. It is often published, combined with another good book of theirs, "The Witches' Way" and the combined books have the title: "A Witches' Bible Complete".

Grimoure for the Apprentice Wizard by Oberon Zell is a step by step "how to" book written for young people like you. It is filled with interesting information. (he also runs an online school)

Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Husan has lots of interesting information, much of it on things not addressed by other books. I was very influential to me, but has recently become more popular.

The Spiral Dance by Starhawk is the best selling beginner Wiccan book ever. She changed a lot about the Craft and even changed the book with time. I like the 1st edition a lot. Be we have grown in different directions. So I ignore her new footnotes and her new chapter in later editions.

Todd has it right... beware the Internet. Several sites I have found to be really good are:

springwolf.net
springhaven.com
paganspath.com

Those three are all by Spring Wolf... Awesome lady. Very balanced in her approach.

Another is http://www.blue-moon-manor.com . A Trad site, and the one that showed me my current path.

I've attached a ZIP file with my library in it. They are simple text files I have loaded into WP. Use as you will with one caveat: Please do not criticize the choices. They represent my growth over 25+ years. They work for me. They may not work for you.

If you are interested in my current line of study, we can discuss that as well.

Dreamsinger

Attached Files
.zip   WP Bibliotheca Nostra.zip (Size: 18.47 KB / Downloads: 540)
2015.10.22, 15.54