Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version 3.1 Released
Stephanie
App Author

Threads: 38
Version 3.1 Released
My request for an expedited review was granted and version 3.1 has been released to the app store!

This version addresses the bugs that came with iOS8 and also includes compatibility for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Once again, I apologize for the delay in getting these fixes finished. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and stress that it caused folks.

If you run into any more problems after updating, please don't hesitate to let me know.

-Stephanie
2014.10.15, 18.31
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stephanie
App Author

RE: Version 3.1 Released
Note: If you don't see the update yet, give it a few hours. Apple processed it at about midnight UTC but it can take a little time to propegate out to the various app stores around the globe.
2014.10.15, 19.08
Dreamsinger

Threads: 16
(2014.10.15, 19.08)Stephanie Wrote: Note: If you don't see the update yet, give it a few hours. Apple processed it at about midnight UTC but it can take a little time to propegate out to the various app stores around the globe.

I've installed WP 3.1 and found the following:

On my iPhone 4S, the data was recovered with no problems. Your mileage will vary, but if you didn't modify anything while waiting, it should all be there.

On my iPad 2:
  • Print works.
    Creating sections works.
    Manual sort works.
    Moving things between sections works.
    Delete works.
    Backup works.
    The custom icons are back.

The only problem I see so far is an error message when I attempt to save content I created on my Mac, uploaded to WP through iTunes, and then attempted to edit in WP. I'm not sure about that one yet, and will be looking further into it.

As I said, YMWV, but this is looking very good!

Thank you Stephanie!

Dreamsinger
2014.10.16, 05.04
Stephanie
App Author

Thank you for the report, Dreamsinger!

I'll test here and see if I can reproduce that bug. What version of iOS is your iPad running?
2014.10.16, 06.13
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.16, 06.13)Stephanie Wrote: Thank you for the report, Dreamsinger!

I'll test here and see if I can reproduce that bug. What version of iOS is your iPad running?

All devices are on 8.0.2.
2014.10.16, 06.43
Stephanie
App Author

Thanks Dreamsinger,

I've been testing on my iPad Mini running 8.0.2 and so far I haven't been able to reproduce the error.

Could you provide some more information? I.e. what's the nature of the document you're editing (text, html, etc; how big is it; pictures etc in it) and what's the error message you get?

And one last question - just to confirm, you don't get this error on your iPhone?

Thanks again Dreamsinger for all your help!
2014.10.16, 07.09
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.16, 07.09)Stephanie Wrote: Thanks Dreamsinger,

I've been testing on my iPad Mini running 8.0.2 and so far I haven't been able to reproduce the error.

Could you provide some more information? I.e. what's the nature of the document you're editing (text, html, etc; how big is it; pictures etc in it) and what's the error message you get?

And one last question - just to confirm, you don't get this error on your iPhone?

Thanks again Dreamsinger for all your help!

AHA! The plot thickens...

HTML and text files act the same, but only HTML files with pictures in them and with the icon the same as the picture.

It is the same action on the phone and the pad.

The error is:
Save Error!
An error has occurred. Unable to update files.

OK
(see attached JPG)

I have had files from 6kb to 35kb work and fail.

Keep tossing ideas, I'll keep banging at it! Big Grin

Dreamsinger

Attached Files Image(s)

2014.10.16, 11.05
Dreamsinger

And just for grins, the same (mis) behavior happens on an iPhone 6 running 8.0.2. If you cannot reproduce this, and no one else is seeing it, then I'll chalk it up to oddities on my end.

Which reminds me, I actually had a TXT file produced by DevonThink that was unable to be opened in WP. And not just that I couldn't open it. It didn't appear on the screen, although I could see it in iTunes. I copied the contents to a new file created by TextEdit, and it worked. hmmm... I'll try rebuilding the affected files and see what happens.

The games afoot!

Dreamsinger
2014.10.17, 08.29
Stephanie
App Author

(2014.10.17, 08.29)Dreamsinger Wrote: And just for grins, the same (mis) behavior happens on an iPhone 6 running 8.0.2. If you cannot reproduce this, and no one else is seeing it, then I'll chalk it up to oddities on my end.

Which reminds me, I actually had a TXT file produced by DevonThink that was unable to be opened in WP. And not just that I couldn't open it. It didn't appear on the screen, although I could see it in iTunes. I copied the contents to a new file created by TextEdit, and it worked. hmmm... I'll try rebuilding the affected files and see what happens.

The games afoot!

Dreamsinger

Thanks for the additional information Dreamsinger!

I was thinking at first it might be a RAM limitation, the iPad 2 has only 512MB and for a graphics-heavy entry maybe there was a memory error. But if it's happening on the iPhone 6 as well then it's definitely not what I was thinking.

For the TXT file that wasn't appearing, it may be a matter of the file's suffix. In order to prevent the on-screen craziness that would ensue if people tried to edit images, spreadsheets, word-processing files, etc. wicca plus is coded to only recognize a handful of file types.

Stuff it can reliably open and edit. The editing function is, admittedly, at the level of a basic text-editor. So the Journal area will only recognize files with a suffix of HTM, HTML, TXT, TEXT, and files with no suffix at all. If you have a file that's anything else, it won't display that as an entry. So .pdf, .pages, .docx, .xls, .numbers etc etc etc will not be displayed.

As for the not-saving, I will dig deeper into that. Everything is saved 'atomicly' which means it saves to a temp file first then overwrites the original with the temp. So if there is a save error, it can't wipe out the original file. So either it can't save the temp file or it can't overwrite the original with the temp.

I'm assuming this is a journal entry, as you mentioned it was an entry you copied in through iTunes Sharing... it may be a filename problem. Something where the filename is an edge-case for a problem.

One oddity that can come up is OS X is case preserving but not case sensitive, but iOS is case sensitive. So color.txt and Color.txt are the same file on OS X but are different files in iOS...

Anyhow, it's something for me to dig further into.

Thanks again Dreamsinger!
2014.10.17, 10.43
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.17, 10.43)Stephanie Wrote:
(2014.10.17, 08.29)Dreamsinger Wrote: And just for grins, the same (mis) behavior happens on an iPhone 6 running 8.0.2. If you cannot reproduce this, and no one else is seeing it, then I'll chalk it up to oddities on my end.

The games afoot!

Dreamsinger

Thanks for the additional information Dreamsinger!

I was thinking at first it might be a RAM limitation, the iPad 2 has only 512MB and for a graphics-heavy entry maybe there was a memory error. But if it's happening on the iPhone 6 as well then it's definitely not what I was thinking.

For the TXT file that wasn't appearing, it may be a matter of the file's suffix. In order to prevent the on-screen craziness that would ensue if people tried to edit images, spreadsheets, word-processing files, etc. wicca plus is coded to only recognize a handful of file types.

Stuff it can reliably open and edit. The editing function is, admittedly, at the level of a basic text-editor. So the Journal area will only recognize files with a suffix of HTM, HTML, TXT, TEXT, and files with no suffix at all. If you have a file that's anything else, it won't display that as an entry. So .pdf, .pages, .docx, .xls, .numbers etc etc etc will not be displayed.

As for the not-saving, I will dig deeper into that. Everything is saved 'atomicly' which means it saves to a temp file first then overwrites the original with the temp. So if there is a save error, it can't wipe out the original file. So either it can't save the temp file or it can't overwrite the original with the temp.

I'm assuming this is a journal entry, as you mentioned it was an entry you copied in through iTunes Sharing... it may be a filename problem. Something where the filename is an edge-case for a problem.

One oddity that can come up is OS X is case preserving but not case sensitive, but iOS is case sensitive. So color.txt and Color.txt are the same file on OS X but are different files in iOS...

Anyhow, it's something for me to dig further into.

Thanks again Dreamsinger!

I did some digging this morning. I took a file with "no extension" visible on OS 10.10. The contents are HTML, and there are no graphics. It appears in iTunes with .txt extension and gives a Save error.

I force added a .txt extension
Copied the contents to a new file and saved as txt
Copied the contents to a new file and saved as html

Still gives Save error Huh

I've sent them under separate cover for your perusal.

Basically, the behavior is random and has no relationship to the file contents, name or extension. Fun stuff. I'm tossing in the towel on this one, and if no one else reports it, I'd let it go and chalk it up to the usual tech weirdness that occasionally hovers over me. Undecided

Dreamsinger
2014.10.18, 11.28
Stephanie
App Author

Thanks Dreamsinger,

I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe something will pop up if I try it while watching the debugging output.

In other news I just this morning noticed a rather obvious error on the iPad version.

The footer at the bottom of the main screen has gone AWOL! The bit that showed the dates for the next three sabbats, and had some astrology stuff... missing. Gone. Poof.

In my haste to get the v3.1 bug fixes out, I inadvertently disappeared that footer and completely failed to notice it was gone until today.

Face-Palm.

So, another update is now in the works to restore that footer, as well as to add a few other minor tweaks that have been on my to-do list for a while.
2014.10.18, 11.46
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.18, 11.46)Stephanie Wrote: Thanks Dreamsinger,

I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe something will pop up if I try it while watching the debugging output.

In other news I just this morning noticed a rather obvious error on the iPad version.

The footer at the bottom of the main screen has gone AWOL! The bit that showed the dates for the next three sabbats, and had some astrology stuff... missing. Gone. Poof.

In my haste to get the v3.1 bug fixes out, I inadvertently disappeared that footer and completely failed to notice it was gone until today.

Face-Palm.

So, another update is now in the works to restore that footer, as well as to add a few other minor tweaks that have been on my to-do list for a while.

Ya know?? I thought there was something different/missing, but I was so excited to see how well the fixes worked, I totally glossed over the front page!

Double face-palm!

Some tester I'd make. Then again, I usually have a formal checklist when I do that kind of thing. Sheesh Blush
2014.10.18, 13.24
Stephanie
App Author

I think at least part of the footer being so easily missed, was because all the worst errors were nowhere near the main page. Every time I was testing the bugs I would dash past the opening screen to get to where I could test the text entry, or test the crash-on-load, etc etc. And then jumping from device to device, the footer is handled entirely differently on the iPhone, so every other iDevice I picked up had it. D'oh.

I've just finished working with those two sample files, Dreamsinger. I know exactly what the problem is.

It is a bug in the way the text encoding is handled. My fault, and it'll be fixed in the next release.

Basically I made some assumptions on the text encoding when the file is loaded, and then another assumption when the file is written. The result is that in some situations the encodings mismatch and the app is unable to save the text.

Until the next release is out, you can work-around the glitch by limiting your characters to the lower 128 ascii codes. Specifically there are only three characters in both the txt file and the html file which I think WP is having trouble with - there's a backwards single-quote, a 'double qoute' that looks like the little 66 and a 'double quote' that looks like a little 99. I know there's proper terms for those things but I don't know what the terms are...

I found the three by using a different text editing app and searching out the non-ascii characters. I tested with the txt file, replacing the three characters for ' and "" and WP was then able to edit and save successfully.

Going forward, WP will save everything as UTF8 compatible. When it loads imported entries, if they aren't UTF8 it will attempt to convert them so that everything remains compatible.

Sorry for the hassle and for the time you've wasted trying to solve this puzzle!
2014.10.18, 13.40
Dreamsinger

Lightbulb  RE: Version 3.1 Released
(2014.10.18, 13.40)Stephanie Wrote: I think at least part of the footer being so easily missed, was because all the worst errors were nowhere near the main page. Every time I was testing the bugs I would dash past the opening screen to get to where I could test the text entry, or test the crash-on-load, etc etc. And then jumping from device to device, the footer is handled entirely differently on the iPhone, so every other iDevice I picked up had it. D'oh.

I've just finished working with those two sample files, Dreamsinger. I know exactly what the problem is.

It is a bug in the way the text encoding is handled. My fault, and it'll be fixed in the next release.

Basically I made some assumptions on the text encoding when the file is loaded, and then another assumption when the file is written. The result is that in some situations the encodings mismatch and the app is unable to save the text.

Until the next release is out, you can work-around the glitch by limiting your characters to the lower 128 ascii codes. Specifically there are only three characters in both the txt file and the html file which I think WP is having trouble with - there's a backwards single-quote, a 'double qoute' that looks like the little 66 and a 'double quote' that looks like a little 99. I know there's proper terms for those things but I don't know what the terms are...

I found the three by using a different text editing app and searching out the non-ascii characters. I tested with the txt file, replacing the three characters for ' and "" and WP was then able to edit and save successfully.

Going forward, WP will save everything as UTF8 compatible. When it loads imported entries, if they aren't UTF8 it will attempt to convert them so that everything remains compatible.

Sorry for the hassle and for the time you've wasted trying to solve this puzzle!

This board needs a lightbulb emoticon.

Please... it was not time wasted if you found the cause of the "problem." As I said before, I'm one of those who is pushing the limits on WP, and I was pretty much convinced this was an isolated problem.

I like the idea of using UTF8. That probably means I can use some really odd fonts (FUTHARK anyone?) and things will still work right. Maybe. We'll see. Big Grin

For those who have followed our journey into Geekland, I hope they have a better appreciation for the complexity of the wondrous gift you have given us. Consider my efforts a bit of a thank you. In the end, WP becomes better for all of us. Heart

I fully agree about missing the main page. I'm still chuckling over that. Wink

On the "vested interest" side, WP is rapidly becoming the augmentation of my BoS and something that helps me consolidate and store information I may need as I explore who I am.

May the Universe bring you peace and prosperity,

Dreamsinger
ok... I found the light bulb...
2014.10.18, 17.31
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.18, 17.31)Dreamsinger Wrote:
(2014.10.18, 13.40)Stephanie Wrote: I think at least part of the footer being so easily missed, was because all the worst errors were nowhere near the main page. Every time I was testing the bugs I would dash past the opening screen to get to where I could test the text entry, or test the crash-on-load, etc etc. And then jumping from device to device, the footer is handled entirely differently on the iPhone, so every other iDevice I picked up had it. D'oh.

This board needs a lightbulb emoticon.

Please... it was not time wasted if you found the cause of the "problem." As I said before, I'm one of those who is pushing the limits on WP, and I was pretty much convinced this was an isolated problem.

I like the idea of using UTF8. That probably means I can use some really odd fonts (FUTHARK anyone?) and things will still work right. Maybe. We'll see. Big Grin

For those who have followed our journey into Geekland, I hope they have a better appreciation for the complexity of the wondrous gift you have given us. Consider my efforts a bit of a thank you. In the end, WP becomes better for all of us. Heart

I fully agree about missing the main page. I'm still chuckling over that. Wink

On the "vested interest" side, WP is rapidly becoming the augmentation of my BoS and something that helps me consolidate and store information I may need as I explore who I am.

May the Universe bring you peace and prosperity,

Dreamsinger
ok... I found the light bulb...
So further examination indicates those odd characters are mostly "smart quotes" generated by MS Word. Yet another virus spread amongst us from Redmond. Tongue

They also cause a problem where OS X says I don't have permission to write to the folder where the file is located, even though the OS says I do.

Thanks to this escapade, I now have the answer to that too!

Dreamsinger
2014.10.19, 16.52
Stephanie
App Author

I hadn't thought about taking advantage of the text encoding for doing things with fonts within the entries but it ought to work. iOS of course has a number of fonts installed already that you could reference with the font-face css element.

And of course you could copy other font files into the app's documents folder... but off the top of my head I'm not sure how to go about utilizing them. I know about using the @font-family css function to enable web fonts, but I've never tried doing that inline within a document.

The standard font that Wicca Plus uses for all the entries is Helvetica Neue Medium, which is IIRC the standard system font for iOS since 7.0, so without trying to load other fonts, using Unicode you at least have access to all the glyphs within that font face.
2014.10.19, 20.30