Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
iOS 8.0 and WP 3.0.1
Dreamsinger

Threads: 18
Bug  iOS 8.0 and WP 3.0.1
Stephanie,

Being the adventurous type, I upgraded to 8.0 today. It was far from painless. My 4s aborted the update, went into recovery mode and had to be restored from the backup. My iPad 2 suffered from random weirdness, and I ended up restoring settings and loading from backup on that too. However, both are consistent when it comes to WP3.0.1.

1. For any entry where I created my own icon (PNG file), the icon is blank, but the picture is visible inside the file.

2. For a section I created, once in the section, I cannot get back to the main screen on the iPad.

3. Attempting to manually sort entries does not work.

The rest of it seems to work ok. Printing does, but I can't test editing.

If you have time today, I can set up a Webex and demo all this using Reflector. Absent that, I'll shoot a MOV of it and send it to you.

Dreamsinger
2014.09.18, 06.31
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dreamsinger

RE: iOS 8.0 and WP 3.0.1
(2014.09.18, 06.31)Dreamsinger Wrote: Stephanie,

Being the adventurous type, I upgraded to 8.0 today. It was far from painless. My 4s aborted the update, went into recovery mode and had to be restored from the backup. My iPad 2 suffered from random weirdness, and I ended up restoring settings and loading from backup on that too. However, both are consistent when it comes to WP3.0.1.

1. For any entry where I created my own icon (PNG file), the icon is blank, but the picture is visible inside the file.

2. For a section I created, once in the section, I cannot get back to the main screen on the iPad.

If you have time today, I can set up a Webex and demo all this using Reflector. Absent that, I'll shoot a MOV of it and send it to you.

Dreamsinger

Not having much to lose at this point, I deleted WP, rebooted the iPad and added it back in. Ever so slowly, I added my content back in, but did not create any new sections. It's working, except the icons are still not there.

I discovered another problem. I can't create a backup, either to iTunes or email.

At this point, I'm stopping. It's working well enough for me right now, and I have to prep for a little trip.

Stephanie, if you have a version you want me to test, I'm on TestFlight.

Blessings to everyone.

Dreamsinger
2014.09.19, 09.58
Dreamsinger

(2014.09.19, 09.58)Dreamsinger Wrote:
(2014.09.18, 06.31)Dreamsinger Wrote: Stephanie,

Dreamsinger

Not having much to lose at this point, I deleted WP, rebooted the iPad and added it back in. Ever so slowly, I added my content back in, but did not create any new sections. It's working, except the icons are still not there.

I discovered another problem. I can't create a backup, either to iTunes or email.

At this point, I'm stopping. It's working well enough for me right now, and I have to prep for a little trip.

Stephanie, if you have a version you want me to test, I'm on TestFlight.

Blessings to everyone.

Dreamsinger

And the update to 8.0.2 corrupted the iPad database again. Yuch. Am I the only one having problems with this?

Dreamsinger
2014.09.26, 22.15
TallawahKaBast
Initiate

Threads: 1
And the update to 8.0.2 corrupted the iPad database again. Yuch. Am I the only one having problems with this?

Dreamsinger
[/quote]

Greetings and Merry meet everyone!
I just upgraded my iPad to the new iOS as well and now WP does not work.
The application opens but no content that has been added appears.
Unable to navigate through the application as it closes automatically when I try.

Another problem is that I am on holiday and so do not have access to my computer.
Help!!

TallawahKaBast
2014.09.28, 18.13
Tanya Belle
Initiate

Threads: 0
I'm having trouble as well. Icons I've added are not appearing. Only the ones that are incorporated in the app are visible. The place holders for the icons and the text are all that show of my added ones. It's true across both my iPad and my iPhone and only since purchasing a new phone and updating the iPad to iOS 8.0.
2014.09.29, 06.32
WiccaTodd
Witch

Threads: 21
(2014.09.29, 06.32)Tanya Belle Wrote: I'm having trouble as well. Icons I've added are not appearing. Only the ones that are incorporated in the app are visible. The place holders for the icons and the text are all that show of my added ones. It's true across both my iPad and my iPhone and only since purchasing a new phone and updating the iPad to iOS 8.0.

Greetings,
Yes. The same result here. Things fell apart after I updated to iOS 8 on my new iPad.
I am keeping the faith that solutions will be found.
As far as technical help...I can only offer my services as a test subject.
In the while, I will keep sending positive magick and vibes to The app author. Heart

WiccaTodd
2014.10.01, 19.28
TallawahKaBast
Initiate

Threads: 1
Greetings,
Yes. The same result here. Things fell apart after I updated to iOS 8 on my new iPad.
In the while, I will keep sending positive magick and vibes to The app author. Heart

WiccaTodd
[/quote]

Thank you WiccaTodd, I will follow your lead! Smile
2014.10.01, 20.22
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.01, 20.22)TallawahKaBast Wrote: Greetings,

WiccaTodd

Thank you WiccaTodd, I will follow your lead! Smile
[/quote]

Exactly. Let's flood Stephanie with calm, love and light. Having once written software for a living, I can tell you, "It's times like this that try men's souls."

Dreamsinger
2014.10.02, 04.30
siobhian
Initiate

Yes, I'm also having problems with the app. Since I updated to ios8, I can't use it without it going totally crazy on me. To be honest, I haven't been able to use it at all since I bought it, so it's pretty disheartening but hoping it will be sorted out soon so I can finally put it to use.
2014.10.08, 09.09
Solitaire
Initiate

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one having problems. I'm so frustrated though, as I've got 20 years of work that I copied into this app that I can't access. What's weird is that the app in my phone (that I haven't added my own into) is just fine, as I can access the original app. But the problem is the iPad. My whole Wiccan life is in this & now since IOS8, I can't access it. Any ideas from anyone?
2014.10.09, 02.12
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.09, 02.12)Solitaire Wrote: I'm glad to see that I am not the only one having problems. I'm so frustrated though, as I've got 20 years of work that I copied into this app that I can't access. What's weird is that the app in my phone (that I haven't added my own into) is just fine, as I can access the original app. But the problem is the iPad. My whole Wiccan life is in this & now since IOS8, I can't access it. Any ideas from anyone?

My recommendation is to not touch anything. Try to create a backup, but if you can't, collect the files you loaded into the device. I've had to reload everything, but there are still issues. As Captain Obvious would say, "There is a problem here." Stephanie's blog points out she was working on all her apps when OS8 was released. I have no doubt she's working on this as we speak. The fact this is a consistent problem across many devices and users is actually a Good Thing. If it were isolated incidents, finding and squashing this critter would be harder. To steal a line from the British, "Keep Calm, and Keep on Witching!" ... or something like that Big Grin

Dreamsinger
2014.10.09, 04.03
Solitaire
Initiate

Sad  RE: iOS 8.0 and WP 3.0.1
(2014.10.09, 04.03)Dreamsinger Wrote:
(2014.10.09, 02.12)Solitaire Wrote: I'm glad to see that I am not the only one having problems. I'm so frustrated though, as I've got 20 years of work that I copied into this app that I can't access. What's weird is that the app in my phone (that I haven't added my own into) is just fine, as I can access the original app. But the problem is the iPad. My whole Wiccan life is in this & now since IOS8, I can't access it. Any ideas from anyone?

My recommendation is to not touch anything. Try to create a backup, but if you can't, collect the files you loaded into the device. I've had to reload everything, but there are still issues. As Captain Obvious would say, "There is a problem here." Stephanie's blog points out she was working on all her apps when OS8 was released. I have no doubt she's working on this as we speak. The fact this is a consistent problem across many devices and users is actually a Good Thing. If it were isolated incidents, finding and squashing this critter would be harder. To steal a line from the British, "Keep Calm, and Keep on Witching!" ... or something like that Big Grin

Dreamsinger

Yep. To quote us, "Houston, we have a problem!" I've always loved your saying of "Keep Calm & Carry On". However, my sparks are flying as I also had the typical Windows issues of it freezing about every 2 years requiring everything to be taken out & reset from scratch at the same time. The problem I ran into there was that it also corrupted my backups. I was hoping to be able to get into my info through a back door, but because of the Windows issues, my info is irretrievably lost at this point. There 2 years of other various media is lost, besides my Apple devices info. 7TB worth of info. Drat! I was able to locate some of my old sources, & will be able to reconstruct some when the rest of the bugs are fixed. It is a bit frustrating, as I've been forced into going digital because of an infection in my right hand a couple of years ago which has made it painful to write. (I wonder how many revisions I was into before I was able to put it all into digital form? Hmmm!) I'm not whining, just stating the facts. This is the first real issue I've had with any Apple products, so with it coinciding with the Windows issues, was a big surprise. At this point, I am doing what I can, but am not an IT. I am self-taught. I absolutely love this app, so I hope that she can get past the IOS8 issues. I also tried multiple resets, but without success. Ah well. Wait for better times. Thx for getting back to me. Have a great one. Thank you.
2014.10.09, 09.38
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.09, 09.38)Solitaire Wrote:
(2014.10.09, 04.03)Dreamsinger Wrote:

Dreamsinger

Yep. To quote us, "Houston, we have a problem!" I've always loved your saying of "Keep Calm & Carry On". However, my sparks are flying as I also had the typical Windows issues of it freezing about every 2 years requiring everything to be taken out & reset from scratch at the same time. The problem I ran into there was that it also corrupted my backups. I was hoping to be able to get into my info through a back door, but because of the Windows issues, my info is irretrievably lost at this point. There 2 years of other various media is lost, besides my Apple devices info. 7TB worth of info. Drat! I was able to locate some of my old sources, & will be able to reconstruct some when the rest of the bugs are fixed. It is a bit frustrating, as I've been forced into going digital because of an infection in my right hand a couple of years ago which has made it painful to write. (I wonder how many revisions I was into before I was able to put it all into digital form? Hmmm!) I'm not whining, just stating the facts. This is the first real issue I've had with any Apple products, so with it coinciding with the Windows issues, was a big surprise. At this point, I am doing what I can, but am not an IT. I am self-taught. I absolutely love this app, so I hope that she can get past the IOS8 issues. I also tried multiple resets, but without success. Ah well. Wait for better times. Thx for getting back to me. Have a great one. Thank you.

I'm not British, but if I keep traveling there as much as I do, I might apply for dual-citizenship! Big Grin

I was in the same situation you are in. Fifteen years of research on the Titanic wiped out when my ultra-reliable RAID 5 controller died, taking the attached disks with it. These days, I have a cloud-based backup solution that will (hopefully) prove to be more reliable.

As to your data problem, there are "forensic" companies that can recover data from damaged or "erased" drives. Their charges are usually based on the complexity of the problem and the amount of data you need to recover. I believe they can also target specific folders and files to recover just that. Occasionally, "all you need to do" (yeah, right), is remove the drive and connect to a working computer as an external drive. No, this is NOT for the faint of heart, and even with my loooonnnggg time in this industry, I approach that with care and trepidation. If the forensic recovery is something you want to pursue, PM me with your general location, and I'll reach out to my work contacts to see who they would recommend. An alternate solution may be the Geek Squad at Best Buy, if there is one by you.

I'll gen up a spell or two and aim them at your machine(s) and hope for the best.

Dreamsinger
2014.10.10, 14.38
Violet
App Author

Threads: 38
Hi Folks,

I apologize for being so silent and absent. Long story short, it's been 3 awful months of personal and professional unpleasantness but that seems to finally be drawing to a close.

iOS 8, and the 8.0.2 update did seem to bugger up a lot of things. Especially having to do with the way iOS manages it's hidden file / directory structure. It's no longer a fixed format. It seems to be very dynamic but I didn't catch this when I was testing against iOS 8 in August. It's possible they added this 'feature' after the last beta but before the public release. In spite of all this the app *should not* be affected as I never built it to work on a fixed structure anyways, it's always used relative paths to figure out where all its resources are located. But clearly something is not right.

It is being worked on and I will get the update out just as fast as I can.

I'm sorry for the trouble and stress this has caused.

Edited: Just verified that the backup function was messed up by 8.0.2 - Grrr!
(This post was last modified: 2014.10.13, 10.51 by Violet.)
2014.10.13, 10.20
Violet
App Author

One more note - sorry I'm a bit discombobulated on this. It's thanksgiving in Canada today but I'm trying to squeeze some time in on the app.

Anyways if you're experiencing crashes, please make sure your settings are to share crash reports with Apple. It's buried in the settings app, under Privacy I think.

Crash reports are anonymous so there's no user or personal data in there. It won't send your Wicca Plus entries. It just sends details of what happened to the code to cause the crash. When apple gets crash reports, they send the app crash reports to the developers and that can help us find and solve problems. Sometimes it's invaluable.

When I get more time I'll post instructions on how you can get your crash reports and send them straight to me if you want to bypass apple and speed up the process.
2014.10.13, 11.21
Dreamsinger

(2014.10.13, 11.21)Stephanie Wrote: One more note - sorry I'm a bit discombobulated on this. It's thanksgiving in Canada today but I'm trying to squeeze some time in on the app.

Anyways if you're experiencing crashes, please make sure your settings are to share crash reports with Apple. It's buried in the settings app, under Privacy I think.

Crash reports are anonymous so there's no user or personal data in there. It won't send your Wicca Plus entries. It just sends details of what happened to the code to cause the crash. When apple gets crash reports, they send the app crash reports to the developers and that can help us find and solve problems. Sometimes it's invaluable.

When I get more time I'll post instructions on how you can get your crash reports and send them straight to me if you want to bypass apple and speed up the process.

I've turned mine on and found the crash files. I'd be happy to send them to you.

Dreamsinger
2014.10.15, 07.20
Violet
App Author

Thank you Dreamsinger!

If you could email the crash files to me that would be great! My email is stephanie (at) felesmagus (dot) com

I've got a WiccaPlus update in the Apple review queue now but if your logs reveal anything I've missed I will push another update out ASAP.
2014.10.15, 08.19