Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Items in the Circle
Dreamsinger

Threads: 18
Items in the Circle
I've read the section in Wicca Plus about tech devices in the circle, and I concur (of course) that tablets/smartphones are just another book and fine there. However...

I travel a LOT and am creating a portable altar I can use in the variety of hotels I occasionally call home. If I pack right, I can take a feather (Athame), small silver chalice, bowl for salt, and an altar cloth. The fun starts when I start thinking about candles and incense.

Every hotel I stay in is non-smoking and has smoke detectors in the room. That means 1-5 candles and incense are most likely a no-no. Is using LED candles pushing it? I have no idea how to replace the incense, but those seem likely replacements for open fire.

Thoughts? Comments?

Dreamsinger
2014.07.29, 16.50
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Violet
App Author

Threads: 38
RE: Items in the Circle
Hi Dreamslinger,

I confess I had never thought of these restrictions before - and it is fascinating now that I am thinking it through!

Thinking about the candles first... candles and fire, fire is the fourth element, aka plasma. Plasma is de-ionized gas. LEDs are nothing like that, BUT fire is also light, and LEDs of course are light. De-ionization is stripping electrons, and LEDs turn electricity to light due to their electro-chemical properties, so... yeah. (Disclaimer, I'm doing a lot of hand-waving as I try and think through it.)

Still, what counts is how you feel. Do electric candles work for you?

I play with electronics a lot so I have a bunch of LEDs around, now I'm tempted to make some LED candles and see how it feels myself.

Incense is another thing entirely. It is both the scent / aroma, and the physical manifestation of the smoke. Elementally, it represents air though... so rather than incense, how about one of those little battery-powered fans, and maybe some perfume, cologne, or even an essential oil?

I think you can get essential oils in 'traditional' incense scents, like patchouli for instance. A little plastic battery-powered fan with a few drops of essential oil on the hub or blades might serve as an incense stand-in.

Having said all that, it's also (IMHO) acceptable to skip a sabbat if it's not practical. Or celebrate it when it is practical. If you find that modern stand-ins don't resonate for you, you could observe the sabbat when it's convenient / when you're back at home.

Or observe it without casting a circle; wherever you are at the time, just try some quiet meditation and be mindful of nature and the world around you.

Still, I am intrigued now on the prospect of using electronic candles and some modern stand-in for incense...

p.s. they make LEDs that have built in "candle-flicker" - if you're inclined to build something yourself, these folks have a good selection of flickering LEDs to choose from. http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/compone...rticle/189
2014.07.29, 19.44
Dreamsinger

Threads: 18
(2014.07.29, 19.44)Stephanie Wrote: Hi Dreamslinger,

I confess I had never thought of these restrictions before - and it is fascinating now that I am thinking it through!

Thinking about the candles first... candles and fire, fire is the fourth element, aka plasma. Plasma is de-ionized gas. LEDs are nothing like that, BUT fire is also light, and LEDs of course are light. De-ionization is stripping electrons, and LEDs turn electricity to light due to their electro-chemical properties, so... yeah. (Disclaimer, I'm doing a lot of hand-waving as I try and think through it.)

I play with electronics a lot so I have a bunch of LEDs around, now I'm tempted to make some LED candles and see how it feels myself.

Incense is another thing entirely. It is both the scent / aroma, and the physical manifestation of the smoke. Elementally, it represents air though... so rather than incense, how about one of those little battery-powered fans, and maybe some perfume, cologne, or even an essential oil?

I think you can get essential oils in 'traditional' incense scents, like patchouli for instance. A little plastic battery-powered fan with a few drops of essential oil on the hub or blades might serve as an incense stand-in.

Having said all that, it's also (IMHO) acceptable to skip a sabbat if it's not practical. Or celebrate it when it is practical. If you find that modern stand-ins don't resonate for you, you could observe the sabbat when it's convenient / when you're back at home.

Or observe it without casting a circle; wherever you are at the time, just try some quiet meditation and be mindful of nature and the world around you.

Still, I am intrigued now on the prospect of using electronic candles and some modern stand-in for incense...

p.s. they make LEDs that have built in "candle-flicker" - if you're inclined to build something yourself, these folks have a good selection of flickering LEDs to choose from. http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/compone...rticle/189

The Idea just went off... Instead of the fan, a small bottle of essential oil and those diffuser sticks. I can pack enough for the longest (so far 2.5 weeks) trip with no problem. I'd probably use lavender, since that helps me sleep at night as well.

I hardly ever skip a sabbat. I build enough time into my schedules to allow an hour or so of meditation that usually involves calling on the Four Directions and the Great Spirit. (Your mileage will vary. Big Grin ) That is pretty much my daily as well. A few well chose words and recognition of the special energy of the day is added.

In the end, I may forgo the candles and use crystals of the right type and color to represent the Four Elements and Spirit.

This all started when I read about a pocket altar and thought, "Hey! A way to slim things down!" (http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Wiccan-Pocket-Altar/)

Nice to know there's another soldering iron-wielding geek around. Smile

Thank you for the tip, the wonderful app, and this place to chat.

Dreamsinger
2014.07.30, 06.23
WiccaTodd
Witch

Threads: 21
I just saw Dreamsinger's link to the portable altar kit. Fantastic! A thimble for a chalice...nice!

The link is at the bottom of this quote from previous posts...

(2014.07.30, 06.23)Dreamsinger Wrote:
(2014.07.29, 19.44)Stephanie Wrote: Hi Dreamslinger,

The Idea just went off... Instead of the fan, a small bottle of essential oil and those diffuser sticks. I can pack enough for the longest (so far 2.5 weeks) trip with no problem. I'd probably use lavender, since that helps me sleep at night as well.

I hardly ever skip a sabbat. I build enough time into my schedules to allow an hour or so of meditation that usually involves calling on the Four Directions and the Great Spirit. (Your mileage will vary. Big Grin ) That is pretty much my daily as well. A few well chose words and recognition of the special energy of the day is added.

In the end, I may forgo the candles and use crystals of the right type and color to represent the Four Elements and Spirit.

This all started when I read about a pocket altar and thought, "Hey! A way to slim things down!" (http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Wiccan-Pocket-Altar/)

Nice to know there's another soldering iron-wielding geek around. Smile

Thank you for the tip, the wonderful app, and this place to chat.

Dreamsinger
2014.08.05, 17.15
Yore Naime
Witch

Threads: 2
(2014.07.29, 16.50)Dreamsinger Wrote: I've read the section in Wicca Plus about tech devices in the circle, and I concur (of course) that tablets/smartphones are just another book and fine there. However...

I travel a LOT and am creating a portable altar I can use in the variety of hotels I occasionally call home. If I pack right, I can take a feather (Athame), small silver chalice, bowl for salt, and an altar cloth. The fun starts when I start thinking about candles and incense.

Every hotel I stay in is non-smoking and has smoke detectors in the room. That means 1-5 candles and incense are most likely a no-no. Is using LED candles pushing it? I have no idea how to replace the incense, but those seem likely replacements for open fire.

Thoughts? Comments?

Dreamsinger

In the Golden Dawn, a flower was used as the symbol for Air. You might try that. For travel, you could even bring a fake one and some scented oil to put on it, in case you can't find a real one.

I live in a very dry area where outdoor fires are completely forbidden. I am experimenting with chemical glow lights as an alternative to candles. If I can get the ingredients to make it, I may fill a cauldron with the stuff as an alternative to a bonfire.

But, I avoid using anything electric in Circle. So the App stays outside, along with the phone and even watches.
2015.10.20, 23.03