Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wicca Words - Pronunciation Guide
WiccaTodd
Witch

Threads: 21
Wicca Words - Pronunciation Guide
Greetings,

As I type this we are approaching July 31st, 2014. According to my handy Wicca Plus App, this is the time we celebrate Lughnasadh.

I have no idea how to pronounce this word.

This prompted me to do some internet research.

According to Dictionary.com it is pronounced: /ˈluːnasa/

I thought the transcription from Wikipedia was also helpful:
its pronounced: LOO-nə-sə;

I have to simplify things even more, I would write the pronunciation as:
LOO-nah-sah

How's that sound?

Please post any other mysterious words here!

Time to harvest that grain!

[img][Image: WheatHarvest_zpsdf8b0e78.jpg][/img]
2014.07.28, 16.26
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Violet
App Author

Threads: 38
RE: Wicca Words - Pronunciation Guide
I've always pronounced it exactly as you've written it phonetically: LOO-nah-sah.

For what it's worth, Lughnasadh is just one of many words used to describe the same thing. In some books I've read, the name is given as Lammas.

The other 'crossed quarter' names can also be a bit unintuitive.

Samhain is (or was originally) pronounced Sow-in or Sow-ehn from what I understand. I tend to say Sow-in most of the time.

I originally learned to pronounce Beltane very differently, more like Beyol-tin-nuh.

Imbolc is probably the most straight forward... it is also written as Imbolg and I usually just pronounce that one exactly as it is written.
2014.07.29, 12.52
WiccaTodd
Witch

Threads: 21
RE: Wicca Words - Pronunciation Guide
(2014.07.29, 12.52)Stephanie Wrote: I've always pronounced it exactly as you've written it phonetically: LOO-nah-sah.

For what it's worth, Lughnasadh is just one of many words used to describe the same thing. In some books I've read, the name is given as Lammas.

The other 'crossed quarter' names can also be a bit unintuitive.

Samhain is (or was originally) pronounced Sow-in or Sow-ehn from what I understand. I tend to say Sow-in most of the time.

I originally learned to pronounce Beltane very differently, more like Beyol-tin-nuh.

Imbolc is probably the most straight forward... it is also written as Imbolg and I usually just pronounce that one exactly as it is written.

Thanks for the pronunciation help Stephanie!

Armed with my new knowledge I plan on celebrating a proper Lughnasadh tonight! I'm off to the grocery store to get supplies. I'm going to get a few different kinds of bread for my altar.

Hey! Isn't beer considered liquid bread? Tongue
2014.07.31, 18.03