Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Altar Setup - A Wicca 101 Graphic
WiccaTodd
Witch

Threads: 21
My Altar Setup - A Wicca 101 Graphic
Greetings All,

Here is a labeled photo of my first altar setup. I wanted to post this in the DIY/Homebrew section because I made this altar without going to any Magick or New Age stores. All of these items are from my own home or purchased cheaply at my local charity store.

Please, all comments and questions are welcome!

I will explain the origins of each item in my next post.

Thanks!

[img][Image: WP-star-dot-star_zps70925e32.jpg][/img]
2014.06.24, 19.03
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dreamsinger

Threads: 16
RE: My Altar Setup - A Wicca 101 Graphic
(2014.06.24, 19.03)WiccaTodd Wrote: Greetings All,

Here is a labeled photo of my first altar setup. I wanted to post this in the DIY/Homebrew section because I made this altar without going to any Magick or New Age stores. All of these items are from my own home or purchased cheaply at my local charity store.

Please, all comments and questions are welcome!

I will explain the origins of each item in my next post.

Thanks!

[img][Image: WP-star-dot-star_zps70925e32.jpg][/img]

Todd,

Nicely done! I am still in the process of finishing a few elements of mine. It is actually split into two locations: one is against the south-facing window in my home office. The other is a dedicated section of the bookshelves for "arranged storage."

I'm working hard to reduce the clutter in the room, but since it serves a dual purpose, that is sometimes not easy. Artwork will come when it's a bit more presentable.

Dreamsinger
2014.06.29, 08.14
WiccaTodd
Witch

[/quote]
Todd,

Nicely done! I am still in the process of finishing a few elements of mine. It is actually split into two locations: one is against the south-facing window in my home office. The other is a dedicated section of the bookshelves for "arranged storage."

I'm working hard to reduce the clutter in the room, but since it serves a dual purpose, that is sometimes not easy. Artwork will come when it's a bit more presentable.

Dreamsinger
[/quote]

A (very belated) thank you Dreamsinger.

Here is a close-up of my magic wand. Yes, I know. It's not very interesting. I took the advice from Thea Sabin's book 'Wicca for Beginners" and just found an interesting stick. Since I am a beginner, this works well for me. Here is a quote from Thea's book:

Quote:The wand is simply a fancy stick. You may think I’m being irreverent, but the traditional wand is a piece of slender branch cut to a certain length, usually at least a foot long.
You should take the wood from a fallen branch rather than cutting it from a live tree. Some Wiccans like to “thank” the tree that provided the branch by leaving an offering of water or compost at its base.
The important part is how the wand resonates with its owner.
Like the athame, the wand is used to focus energy. It is most often used when invoking the gods, since it’s not polite or smart to wave a sharp, pointy athame at Athena or Loki.

[Image: Magnolia-Wand_zps3574376d.jpg]

I found my wand while walking the dog. There is an old, very primitive graveyard at the front of my house. I noticed the "Stick" about two feet from the edge of the graveyard. It was about four feet long - but it seemed perfect for SOMETHING. So I grabbed it and began to think about wands. I put it on the front porch. The next day I went out to the graveyard and thanked the Deities for my find. A few days later, I cut the stick as I felt, I rounded one end down to a blunt tip. This would be my pointing end of the wand. It felt good! I consecrated it (see first picture of altar) and I've used it in a few rituals since.

Again, that's the beauty of this practice. I get to use real-world items in ceremony - this helps me focus my thoughts. Consequently, I feel more power is being projected when I use this item.

Thought and questions are very welcome.
2014.07.16, 10.31
Stephanie
App Author

Threads: 38
That is perfect. It really is the way I think things are meant to be - the tools that resonate are the best.
2014.07.24, 16.42
WiccaTodd
Witch

(2014.07.24, 16.42)Stephanie Wrote: That is perfect. It really is the way I think things are meant to be - the tools that resonate are the best.

Greetings,

Another part of my simple D.I.Y. altar.

I understand from all my Wicca books, (all three of them!), that the witches Athame is a most important tool for ritual work. Well, these books also say that tools can be vary optional. In "Wicca for Beginners" Thea Sabin says the important thing is the intent and feelings of your magick - if no tools are available, use your middle and index finger to cast circles, etc.

Since I am a beginner, I have elected to start slow and low budget. I did not just want to use my fingers, because I wanted a physical object in my hand to focus on. I also did not want to rush out and special order a ritual athame. So, enter a letter opener that was given to me for Christmas last year. I stumbled across it and realized it had all the basic and suggested features an athame should have: black handle, two-edged blade and dull edge to discourage using it for cutting solid objects. A bonus is that it was a gift from a good friend - so it has all positive energy in it's background.

[img][Image: 71045483-810c-44bf-aac8-0f2d1c1095b0_zps1ad52a10.jpg][/img]

So I use this for now as I learn. Would I like to have a different athame? Yep. One day. Mainly because I agree with our Fearless Leader Stephanie; that is, the athame used by the ancient witch must have been used for mundane cutting as well. Back in the old days, any kind of knife was an expensive, rare thing. So I want a real handmade knife one day.

I did consecrate the blade in a circle. But I have not made any suggested markings on it. I will continue to use this until I feel ready to "graduate" to a more appropriate, handmade ritual knife.

Why is the handle suggested to be black?
2014.08.11, 17.16
Drake
Initiate

Threads: 1
That is an AMAZING Athame!

(2014.08.11, 17.16)WiccaTodd Wrote:
(2014.07.24, 16.42)Stephanie Wrote: That is perfect. It really is the way I think things are meant to be - the tools that resonate are the best.

Greetings,

Another part of my simple D.I.Y. altar.

I understand from all my Wicca books, (all three of them!), that the witches Athame is a most important tool for ritual work. Well, these books also say that tools can be vary optional. In "Wicca for Beginners" Thea Sabin says the important thing is the intent and feelings of your magick - if no tools are available, use your middle and index finger to cast circles, etc.

Since I am a beginner, I have elected to start slow and low budget. I did not just want to use my fingers, because I wanted a physical object in my hand to focus on. I also did not want to rush out and special order a ritual athame. So, enter a letter opener that was given to me for Christmas last year. I stumbled across it and realized it had all the basic and suggested features an athame should have: black handle, two-edged blade and dull edge to discourage using it for cutting solid objects. A bonus is that it was a gift from a good friend - so it has all positive energy in it's background.

[img][Image: 71045483-810c-44bf-aac8-0f2d1c1095b0_zps1ad52a10.jpg][/img]

So I use this for now as I learn. Would I like to have a different athame? Yep. One day. Mainly because I agree with our Fearless Leader Stephanie; that is, the athame used by the ancient witch must have been used for mundane cutting as well. Back in the old days, any kind of knife was an expensive, rare thing. So I want a real handmade knife one day.

I did consecrate the blade in a circle. But I have not made any suggested markings on it. I will continue to use this until I feel ready to "graduate" to a more appropriate, handmade ritual knife.

Why is the handle suggested to be black?
2014.08.11, 18.34
Stephanie
App Author

Threads: 38
(2014.08.11, 17.16)WiccaTodd Wrote: Why is the handle suggested to be black?

In all honesty, I have no idea! It may be down to 'tradition', aka, that's the way it was always done so that's the way we're supposed to do it now.

I've read at least one suggestion that a witch's black-handled knife was for ritual use only and they would have a second, white-handled knife for practical cutting (i.e. cutting herbs or the sort) but that implied they'd have a third knife for their normal non-magical lives as well and it just seemed rather excessive to me.

Also -that is a very nice Athame, and with a good, positive history to it as well. Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 2014.10.13, 10.36 by Stephanie.)
2014.10.13, 10.35
Yore Naime
Witch

Threads: 2
(2014.10.13, 10.35)Stephanie Wrote:
(2014.08.11, 17.16)WiccaTodd Wrote: Why is the handle suggested to be black?

In all honesty, I have no idea! It may be down to 'tradition', aka, that's the way it was always done so that's the way we're supposed to do it now.

I've read at least one suggestion that a witch's black-handled knife was for ritual use only and they would have a second, white-handled knife for practical cutting (i.e. cutting herbs or the sort) but that implied they'd have a third knife for their normal non-magical lives as well and it just seemed rather excessive to me.

Also -that is a very nice Athame, and with a good, positive history to it as well. Cheers!

The handle colours for the Athame and Boline come from the "Key of Solomon" a medival ceremonial magical book.
2015.10.20, 23.07