Poll: Are you using iOS6 or iOS7?
This poll is closed.
iOS6 is the only version I am using.
0%
0 0%
I have some devices on iOS6 and others on iOS7.
0%
0 0%
iOS7 is the only version I am using.
100.00%
2 100.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Does anyone still use iOS6?
Violet
App Author
*****

Posts: 105
Threads: 38
Joined: 2014.Jan
Reputation: 6
#1
Does anyone still use iOS6?
Last time I saw figures from Apple, they claimed over 85% of actively used devices were on iOS7. The remaining 15% were on iOS6 or earlier.

I'm curious because as I am working on the next version of Wicca Plus, it's becoming more difficult to maintain backwards compatibility for iOS6. Basically for every change I make and every new function I add, I have to stop and test it on iOS6, then typically I have to rewrite that new addition so there's a second 'version' strictly to maintain iOS6 compatibility.

This wasn't as big of a problem with past iOS upgrades, from iOS2 through iOS6 most of the changes were incremental. But from iOS6 to iOS7 Apple made some huge sweeping behind-the-scenes changes.

As far as I know, the only iOS device that could run iOS6 but could not run iOS7 is the iPhone 3GS, but some people might be sticking with it for other reasons.

Sooner or later Apple will force developers to drop iOS6 support, but in the meantime I'm curious to know if it's still popular.

Thanks!

Addendum: By "iOS 6" I mean 6.0.0 to 6.1.whatever the latest version is. Ditto for iOS 7 - that includes all revisions from 7.0 to 7.1.1 and whatever might come out between now and iOS 8.
(This post was last modified: 2014.05.15, 12.52 by Violet.)
2014.05.15, 12.47
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dreamsinger
Moderator
*****

Posts: 91
Threads: 18
Joined: 2014.May
Reputation: 3
#2
RE: Does anyone still use iOS6?
(2014.05.15, 12.47)Stephanie Wrote: Last time I saw figures from Apple, they claimed over 85% of actively used devices were on iOS7. The remaining 15% were on iOS6 or earlier.

I'm curious because as I am working on the next version of Wicca Plus, it's becoming more difficult to maintain backwards compatibility for iOS6. Basically for every change I make and every new function I add, I have to stop and test it on iOS6, then typically I have to rewrite that new addition so there's a second 'version' strictly to maintain iOS6 compatibility.

This wasn't as big of a problem with past iOS upgrades, from iOS2 through iOS6 most of the changes were incremental. But from iOS6 to iOS7 Apple made some huge sweeping behind-the-scenes changes.

As far as I know, the only iOS device that could run iOS6 but could not run iOS7 is the iPhone 3GS, but some people might be sticking with it for other reasons.

Sooner or later Apple will force developers to drop iOS6 support, but in the meantime I'm curious to know if it's still popular.

Thanks!

Addendum: By "iOS 6" I mean 6.0.0 to 6.1.whatever the latest version is. Ditto for iOS 7 - that includes all revisions from 7.0 to 7.1.1 and whatever might come out between now and iOS 8.
Stephanie,

If Apple follows normal course, next month, during the WWDC, they will preview iOS8. Along with that will come a list of devices that won't be able to run it, and I suspect the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 will be on that list. Right now, iPad 1 and phones below 4s can't run 7. Based on research at work (I write about this industry for a living), most of the 6 devices are iPad 1s.

Companies that use iOS devices or are running BYOD programs (bring your own device) are mandating iOS7 to take advantage of inherent security features. iOS7 was not just a pretty face. Smile This is further pushing adoption of it.

All this is a long ramble to have you take the stance now that after iOS8 comes out, you'll be dropping support for iOS6 and below. As a single person shop, it will become untenable to do otherwise over the long haul.

Regards,

Michael
2014.05.18, 01.49
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Violet
App Author
*****

Posts: 105
Threads: 38
Joined: 2014.Jan
Reputation: 6
#3
RE: Does anyone still use iOS6?
Thanks Dreamsinger for the detailed response!

As you can expect, I'll be paying close attention to WWDC - like everyone else involved, I'm eager to see what they bring with iOS8. I know 7 was a lot more than cosmetics, there were a lot of under-the-hood changes, and SDK changes. That's one of the big reasons why it's difficult to support both iOS6 and iOS7.

I know the the iPhone 4 can run iOS7 as my niece has one and she's running iOS7 on it. Are you sure about the iPad 1 being on iOS6? I was under the impression that iPad1 support stopped with iOS 5...

My guess about who is running iOS6 is that there'll be some iPhone 3GS's still in use, I believe there is an iPod Touch that can run 6 and didn't get 7, and then there'll be a small percentage of folks who either refuse to upgrade, or don't care to.

Anyways, I know iOS 6 support will have to go at some point. I'm just trying to decide if that point is now, or in the autumn when iOS8 is released and all the apps have to be updated to support whatever new requirements are announced.

Thanks again!
2014.05.18, 08.46
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dreamsinger
Moderator
*****

Posts: 91
Threads: 18
Joined: 2014.May
Reputation: 3
#4
RE: Does anyone still use iOS6?
(2014.05.18, 08.46)Stephanie Wrote: Thanks Dreamsinger for the detailed response!

As you can expect, I'll be paying close attention to WWDC - like everyone else involved, I'm eager to see what they bring with iOS8. I know 7 was a lot more than cosmetics, there were a lot of under-the-hood changes, and SDK changes. That's one of the big reasons why it's difficult to support both iOS6 and iOS7.

I know the the iPhone 4 can run iOS7 as my niece has one and she's running iOS7 on it. Are you sure about the iPad 1 being on iOS6? I was under the impression that iPad1 support stopped with iOS 5...

My guess about who is running iOS6 is that there'll be some iPhone 3GS's still in use, I believe there is an iPod Touch that can run 6 and didn't get 7, and then there'll be a small percentage of folks who either refuse to upgrade, or don't care to.

Anyways, I know iOS 6 support will have to go at some point. I'm just trying to decide if that point is now, or in the autumn when iOS8 is released and all the apps have to be updated to support whatever new requirements are announced.

Thanks again!

Follow-up (delayed) on this...

iPad 1 does support iOS 6. I guessed wrong about the 4S and iPad2. Confused My 4S and iPad 2 are running iOS8 even better than iOS7. FWIW, my IT department will be banning iOS6 and below in January.

Dreamsinger
2014.10.10, 13.37
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
christensen
Initiate
*

Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Joined: 2014.Oct
Reputation: 0
#5
RE: Does anyone still use iOS6?
Yeah i still use on my 3s and running smoothly
2014.10.11, 03.28
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Violet
App Author
*****

Posts: 105
Threads: 38
Joined: 2014.Jan
Reputation: 6
#6
RE: Does anyone still use iOS6?
Thanks Christensen,

By now you'll have seen that I did end up dropping support for iOS6 with the Wicca Plus 3.0 update in August.

The earlier versions of Wicca Plus will of course continue to run on the 3Gs.

Cheers!
2014.10.13, 10.01
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Serenity Tor
Initiate
*

Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Joined: 2014.Dec
Reputation: 0
#7
RE: Does anyone still use iOS6?
Yes I am using ios7.
But my query is about Southern Hemisphere users.
Will the plus app re-configure dates for Sabbats etc fort location?
If not, can I manually do it?

TIA
Blessed be,
Tor
2014.12.16, 04.58
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply


Forum Jump: